Sunday, March 25, 2007

Last Call



Yay, Kelly is almost through with all of her call nights! Tuesday/Wednesday will be Kelly's final call night of her residency - a four year Internal Medicine and Pediatrics combined program. Of course, this does not mean she is not without other types of "call". There's Jeopardy call, short call, this-and-that call :-) (ok, so I made up that last one)...

I am soooo proud of you, Honey!! The light at the end of the (4-year) tunnel is surely brighter now.

Looking back at when Kelly and I were first dating, I remember her as an intern (first year resident). Those were not easy days. There were many nights filled with self-doubt, tears, and hardship. And I was not particularly fond of any of her colleagues then. This was because I had always thought Kelly deserved better (respect) from her friends, and I was just not sure she was getting this from the folks in her program.

Fast forward four years, and Kelly is a senior resident, and soon to be Internist and Pediatrician. That is, a doctor-doctor. Yes. Kelly and her class will be specializing in both Internal Medicine and Pediatrics. And I have grown to understand and respect her colleagues which are very dear friends of ours, who have witnessed Kelly and my early days as friends, through dating, engagement, wedding, and the birth of our son. In between all those significant life milestones have been numerous movie nights, dinners, devotional programs, birthday celebrations, nights of reflection and support for one another.

Indeed, with both Kelly and my family all over the world, Kelly's colleagues, as well as the Baha'i community here in Durham, have been our surrogate families and have seen our family grow.

I will write a separate blog entry specifically on Duke's med/peds residency class of '07 in a few months time, but would like to congratulate them all now, and to look forward to the final 4 months of their training!!!

I have no doubt this group of fine professionals will serve humanity well.

No comments: