Thursday, March 01, 2007

'Fast' Approaching


Today is the last day of Ayyam-i-Ha (sunset Feb 25th - sunset Mar 1st): a time when Baha'is prepare for the upcoming month of Fasting, give gifts to family and loved ones, and celebrate with friends and do acts of charity and service. This year has been a little overwhelming during this time, and so our family's Ayyam-i-Ha activities have been a bit limited. Last night, Kelly and I made Sholezard (a yellow-colored Persian rice pudding which contains sugar, saffron, cardamon, almonds, rose water and garnished with cinammon and pistachios) which we hope to deliver to 8 neighbors/households/families in our street who have been very loving and thoughtful and provided meals and gifts for Ethan when we he was born.

We don't do a whole lot in our own neighborhood - as a family unit that is (myself I do some) - and with us moving this summer it only felt right to give thanks and celebrate this year's Ayyam-i-Ha by giving back to these lovely souls.

We also wrote cards describing a little what this time of the year means to Baha'is (similar to what I wrote in the first paragraph of this blog entry).

Having said that, the Fast starts tomorrow! And every year, I feel the month of Fasting approaches faster and faster (pardon the pun.. and pun) or that I am less prepared year after year. So much for preparation for the Fast during Ayyam-i-Ha, eh?

This mean, tonight, I must go to Sam's and buy my usual breakfast itmes: sausage links, egg, milk, yoghurt, and that's probably all. A good healthy breakfast - or at the very least a hearty one - is the only way to get through the daylight hours (sunrise to sunset) without eating OR DRINKING. Undoubtedly, as is the case for me, I forget out of habit that I am fasting and do at times slip and sip some water. Usually this happens in the first day or two of fasting. My body adapts fairly quickly thereafter.

It doesn't help however that I am falling sick with a cold (as of a couple nights ago, but last night was the worst). Nevertheless, there are several exceptions (or exemptions??) to the Baha'i Fast. You do not fast if you are: a pregnant/nursing woman, under the age of 15 (age of 'maturity'), sick, travelling long distances (9 hours or longer?), etc.. etc..

Baha'i "months" are 19 days long (and there are 19 of them during one year), totalling 361 days, plus the 4 (or 5 during leap year) for Ayyam-i-Ha makes up the full calendar days. So, the month of Fasting starts sunrise on March 2nd and ends sunset on March 20th.

March 21st is Naw Ruz (or nawrooz) which is the Persian/Baha'i New Year - coinciding with the start of Spring!

So HAPPY FASTING everyone!

Love to all.
Max

No comments: