Saturday, April 07, 2007

Wintery Blast

Last night was cold. Downright frigid. Kelly and I were lying in bed, having just put our heads on our pillows, when I voiced my concern for our plants and the forthcoming wintery blast of cold air we were expecting. I was not sure if Kelly was listening, if she had fallen asleep quickly, or if she could even be bothered to get up from the very spot she'd been warming in bed all cozy dozy. Just then, Kelly got up, walked over to the closet, started putting on her leg warmers and socks and said, "OK, let's do it. Let's protect the plants (already) as best we can with blankets and plastic bags." Those were my suggestions, as I had read them earlier in the evening on some BBC website on how to protect plants that are not frost resistent. And so we were off, flashlight in hand, garbage bags galore, and all of our not-so-good to our finest linens, all to preserve some plants for one evening weather's harsh treatment. (I wish I took a photo of how our garden looked all wrapped in bags and then covered over in blankets!) The air was so cold (below 24F) last night, that this morning, just before we were expecting an agent to show our home to some clients, I went outside to remove all the bags and blankets covering our garden beds, only to find some completely exposed (wind blew off coverings), and others covered, though the blankets were frozen to the shape of it being draped over some plant. Needless to say, it was a nightmare getting the linens to thaw, even in the sunlight, in order to then fold them, before folks came to see our house! And the effect on the plants, you ask? After all, after going through all this trouble, one would hope at least the plants got the benefit of some less cold air trapped under all the coverings. The truth is, some did ok, while others still "burned" in the frost and chill of the night. Quite literally to, as leaves turned brown and black, as evident in the new growth on this holly (?) bush which all turned black. :-( And tonight is more of the same, though supposedly not as cold, but still below freezing (29F). At least the folks who came to see the house liked what they saw, though who knows really whether they will return with an purchase offer. I'm just impressed (and anyone who knows Kelly would say so as well) at how Kelly full-heartedly (or begrudgingly?) supported my plan (and eased my weary mind) to do our best to protect our plants.

No comments: