Tuesday, October 23, 2007

High Octane Parenting

These past few days have been fun and exciting, though the frazzeling effects of having three cousins under the age of 4 explore their world -- a space, which, many a times seems not quite big enough for them all -- will linger still for a few days more.

Today, our world will return to quiet mountain living. Ethan started with daycare this morning at Linda Gray's home. Kelly and I are hopeful that this situation will be better for Ethan than Kaleidoscope was, since the ratio of caregiver to infant will be essentially 1:2 (compared to the 1:6 State imposed ratio of public childcare facilities) and so he will be receiving more of the attention that he needs (and should be getting).

Sharon and the girls are just full of energy and always on the go. Every activity is a learning experience for the girls, and it is non-stop. As a result, the girls get plenty of attention and are thriving with every opportunity to learn something new.

In my last entry I had written how I was curious to see how Ethan would do with his cousins who are older and therefore more mobile and authoritative in their wants and needs. Well, I can say, battle-tested, Ethan is holding up and has probably learned a lot in the short time he spent with his cousins.

But not to forget the grandparents, who are actually doing parenting upon parenting. It has been a blessing having mom for 6 weeks. A hot lunch ready to take to work every day? Can't beat that. Dinner always ready, laundry always prepared, a house always clean. I list all these things to show my gratefulness, and not at all to say these are things I expect. Thank you, Ma!

And Dad? Well I have already devoted a blog entry on the many things you do. But it is obvious, you make our functional world work. Dad installed track lighting in the dining area, and more recently (as of yesterday) completed phase 1 of Ethan's playground. But I cannot list everything you do. I mean, to do so would involve, for example, putting to words such "improvements" as de-mounting the toilet paper holder off the wall, and reinstalling it to give more width to properly fit a large toilet paper roll, since the original builder had obviously only installed the holder for very tiny rolls. And anyone who has ever sat on a toilet bowl knowing there is a full roll of toilet paper on hand, but later finding the roll does not, well, roll, lending it pretty much useless, can attest to the gratitude for having this (the toilet paper roll width) fixed. For this alone *yay*, thanks, Dad!

High octane parenting, and grandparenting, for sure.

No comments: