All confidential stuff!! Hmm.. how can I write this entry in a way to depict what I did today and what my job entails...?OK, so my first day on the job was pretty laid back. I did the usual admin stuff: (1) payroll, (2) confidentiality agreement, (3) organize desk space and work surroundings, (4) set up computer connection, (5) telephone/direct line, (6) work email address, (7) medical insurance paperwork, etc.. etc..
I met with Ray to discuss plans and what I can get a start on right away and more long term goals. The immediate thing was to learn how the grants all work: how different study grants are applied for, how the billing/payment works, relationship between CROs (clinical research organizations)-pharmaceutical companies (or sponsors)-institution/investigator/site, how patients get erolled (inclusion/exclusion criteria), etc.. etc..
By the end of my first day, I am now pretty familiar with what a standard grant/agreement/protocol looks like. Over the next few days I will be learning a whole lot more, when I get to create my own spreadsheet/system of organizing the various budgets (monies received, etc..), a system for keeping track of all active grants, and also to inform more physicians in the practice (Kelly too!) of what we (the research folks) are doing so that we can enroll more qualified patients in to studies, and thus increase and build this fledgling enterprise.
Ooohhh, it just sounds too exciting. I think I've been craving a challenge like this for some time: refine my management skills (or if any, acquire some more... hee hee), learn a bit of the industry of pharmaceutical science/clinical trials, and get a general sense of business type applications -- i.e. getting as far away from basic science research as humanly possible :-D
That is not all accurate actually, since part of many/all contracts I've seen (today anyway) include clauses for intellectual property and publications. And I for one would like to keep up my skills and experience in writing manuscripts for publications, and this would also be a viable way to get our company name (River Birch Research Alliance, LLC) into the wider scientific community and thus more grants.
More learning. Yay!


No comments:
Post a Comment