
Oh how depressing :-( Apparently it would take nearly 11 Earths if the entire human population were to live the way I do. Everything from what I eat, how much I drive each year, what type of energy we use at home and how "energy friendly" our appliances are, was taken into account in this calculation. Calculate your Eco Footprint :-D
In order for me to be more ecologically friendly, I would need to drive a car with better mileage, use public transportation more often than driving, or if I do drive, take a few people with me or carpool with others. I would need to be a vegetarian or vegan or at the very least use less meat and dairy in my diet. I would need to buy more of my food items from local sources like Farmer's Markets and in-season items, since most of what I currently eat are packaged and transported nationally if not internationally. Ugh! Or better yet, just have a huge vegetable garden patch in my backyard like I used to!
And to think I have a tiny car and I seldom eat out and I rarely use A/C and the dishwasher and oven. I am sure I use far less energy than the average American, but obviously this is just not enough.
I think I can implement buying locally grown, in-season fruits and vegetables, and work on the others as I am able.


No comments:
Post a Comment