Sunday, September 16, 2007

Our Family Just Got Bigger

I'll just say it now -- NO WE ARE NOT EXPECTING #2.

This is about Sparky (read previous entry).

Well it would seem that Kelly had a change in heart, and although we are still not allowing this stray cat into our house, we have "adopted" it into our family.

Ever since we moved into our home in Blue Ridge, Sparky was out rummaging through our empty boxes and packing material looking for something to eat I'm sure. Then he would disappear for a few days. Other times, I would find tiny paw prints out of mud, dried on our deck. And then all too often, this skinny feline would greet us at our door.

The nights have been getting cooler, and though still far from the temperatures we are going to get in winter, they have been rather chilly for this time of the year. Last night was the coolest so far at 48F and Sparks was found curled up this morning in this tiny ball, exactly where we had said 'goodnight' to him previously. He looked so pathetic. So vulnerable. Pitiful.

I convinced Kelly that I should at least feed it something. The cat has already decided our deck is his home, and so my feeding him would not be the reason for his attraction to be near us. I fed it canned chicken. It was the closest thing we had that we knew the cat would eat. Kelly had to check on some patients in the hospital this morning, and when she was on her way home, she told me we could adopt Sparky! But that he would have to remain an outdoor cat, never to come in our house. (since both Kelly and I are allergic)

The reason for Kelly's change in heart was because a person she had spoken to said that you could indeed keep cats outdoors all year in Blue Ridge, just make some place that it could sleep in some warmth during the winter months. So we bought a few things to set up a cozy home for him and I hope he will soon realize it is safe and use it -- he still opts to sleep alone, curled up, unsheltered on the deck.

I'll post some pics as soon as we can fatten him up a bit. Really, the boney look is not flattering.

Oh, and not entirely sure Sparks is a he yet.

We've only sort of adopted him, providing him with food and shelter, but Sparky can come and go as he chooses, as he does, and we'll probably do very little, provide little else, but for now it feels awfully good knowing he's here keeping guard :-P

No comments: