Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Movers

I am barely cracking the list of things that we have to accomplish before (or by the time) we move, which seems to be getting longer rather than shorter. Today's task was to do some research on moving companies and estimates of costs etc.. Some charge you by weight, while others by space (cubic feet), and yet others by room number (e.g. $1000/room) -- the latter of which I thought was perhaps not that clever since could you not just pile all your furniture into your living room or garage? I guess that's where their "fine print" covers them (which I almost NEVER read).

And so I think I've managed to find the best rate, though I am not certain the company who has offered the lowest price is necessarily the most reliable. How do you find this out? Apparently, like with most anything in sales, there are "brokers" who sell you the move (or the quote for your move), but then outsource or sell your business to a third party moving company or truck company or whatever, and so the folks who end up at your door waiting to load all your possessions into their trucks may not be the same as the person you spoke to on the phone! Pretty crazy, eh? This is similar to the idea of having a loan or mortgage with one bank or lender, and having it "sold" to another, and you end up paying your monthly payments to a different person each time. Of all things to sell, to sell money? Seemed paradoxical, though it became clear to me that this is precisely what banking is all about, and selling money is actually probably the biggest "business" there is.

I stray...

And so as I was saying, hopefully I have narrowed down my options for moving and will make a final decision by this week. It is a relief to know that our employer will be paying for our relocation, but I am still trying to find the best possible deal in the event that we actually have more "inventory" than we quoted and go over the cost estimate.

And of this "list" the many things still outstanding you ask?

(1) change of address - USPS
(2) end services with Durham utilities (electricity, water, cable/internet/phone, home security system...)
(3) begin services with Blue Ridge utilities (electricity/gas, water, cable/internet/phone, home security system...)
(4) change of address - credit cards, professional memberships, Baha'i/National...
(5) inspection/repairs/closing on our Durham house
(6) release of medical information for family (Kelly, Ethan, Max)
(7) find new pediatrician for Ethan/primary physician for Kelly/Max
(8) hire movers
(9) final garage sale for stuff we don't want to move
(10) close bank accounts - Durham (unless we can find the same bank in Blue Ridge)
(11) open bank accounts - Blue Ridge
(12) Georgia driver's license
(13) contact daycare for Ethan
.
.
.

With approximately 4 weeks until we have to move, we've got our work cut out for us. However, with Kelly and Ethan by my side, I've not looked more forward to and been more excited about moving/relocating in my life.

No comments: