Saturday, July 12, 2008

Long Journey, But Now Back Home

Who knew it would take 24 hours from the doorstep of my cousin's home in Coquitlam, BC to ours in Blue Ridge, GA. We arrived at the airport in Vancouver with just under three hours before our flight, anticipating that my usual interview with immigration would keep me for a while and we may miss our flight (as has happened to me in Toronto one other occasion). Instead, there was no U.S. customs and immigration to go through at the airport, and no place to do my "special registration" notification.

Waiting for our flight, instead, I was thinking of the missed opportunity to attend Carlie and Barry's wedding dinner celebrations at SFU. Even without having my interview at the airport it would have been a task to attend dinner, drive back to my cousin's house, get changed out of our formal attire, then drive to the airport. Witnessing their wedding ceremony, including a touching moment when Carlie fought back tears when reciting her vows to Barry (and Barry responding by pretending to wipe his brow with relief that Carlie got through it all) is something I am honored to have been present for, and I wish them both the best. (still, would have been nice to have made the dinner too... darn!)

Our flight from Vancouver was rough at times. We flew through numerous thunder storms in the upper midwest of the U.S. before arriving a few minutes late at the airport in Chicago. Knowing instead that I had an interview with US customs and border protection in my port of entry at the US meant rushing. We were greeted by a rude (woman) officer. No surprise really, is there? I've done this so long now it hardly phased me really. She escorted me especially to the place where I would have to report and prove my identity (which I am already in the "system" and have been for years). Quick and out, off to claim baggage and see if we can miraculously catch our connecting flight to Atlanta.

No such luck. Several minutes too late, our connecting flight had left, and we were booked into the next flight to ATL -- a 7 hour layover at the Chicago O'Hare airport. We ate. Slept. Ran after Noomsie. Ate some more. Slept some more. All the while building that "freshness" that comes from not eating or sleeping all that well and not showering, though sweating, exerting, rushing, that is traveling.

A ha! At last we made it to Atlanta. Hotlanta did not disappoint - 97 degrees and nearly 5PM. Downtown was a parking lot with traffic barely moving due to construction that reduced a 6 lane interstate into a single lane. No, 7 hour delay at an airport truly is not test enough. But whatever. We were a mere 2 hour plus drive away from our home sweet home in the Blue Ridge mountains.

We arrived about an hour ago making our journey about an entire day. Smile :-D

Now showered and clean, and our house so fragrant from all the wood scents, no greater pleasure is there, surely, than my head now touching my soft, soft pillow.

1 comment:

Sevda and Michael Teske said...

We are happy that you are safely back in your home's comfort. I can imagine all the ordeals you had to go through with the customs and all, and I have felt humiliated by the customs officers a few times, still I miss flying on the plane especially international flights. Hope to catch up with you soon. Love from the Teskes