Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Georgia Garden 2008



[Debra H (back) and Deborah A (front), my two research study coordinators, assisting me with planting several baby plants one Friday early evening after work in May]

Spring in Georgia has meant a new season for gardening - my first in the Peach State. Experimenting with new perennial flowering plants, and having received several donated plants from my co-workers (everyone does gardening!) I have created this garden in the front of our house, that still needs a lot of work, but is growing like crazy. One thing that is certain is that EVERYTHING seems to grow to incredible sizes here in Blue Ridge - weeds and all. Hopefully this rings true with the plants I have carefully planted.

I planted Angel Trumpets, Gerber Daisies, Echinacea (and double-Echinacea), Carolina Jasmine, Cannas, Elephant Ears, Hibiscus, Ginger, and more. Having been known to get right to the planting and little with the planning (of where to place plants), I am not sure how the final blooming garden will look like.

But anyways, I include here a picture in the month of May when I first started clearing the garden bed and sought the help of two co-workers to help me plant some 200 baby plants and ornamental grasses. Also included (below) is a short clip of what the garden looks like, as of yesterday, a couple months after the garden was started. Some have grown rather quickly (Angel Trumpets, Bee Balm, etc..) while others are slower to develop and bloom (Echinacea, Ginger - not shown, etc..).



Will post updates probably towards end of this month or mid August and again towards the middle/end of summer in early September.

No comments: