It would seem everywhere in the "deep south" is having some sort of a drought this summer. Nashville, as I mentioned in a previous post, has been setting local records for heat index -- reaching 106F -- a temperature not felt for the past century almost (the all-time record being 107F set in 1890-something). And Atlanta? AKA HOTlanta? The past two weeks it seems have been triple digits, which is no wonder you get this sense, this palpable excitement in everyone when we a brief but torrential downpour occurs, as has been the case the past two days.
Still, we would need this type of precipitation for about a month to make up for all the dry and hot days we've had so far this summer.
Lake Blue Ridge is but a pathetic sight, at least around the bend where Dry Branch Road meets our own (Deer Hunter Road), which we drive daily. Dry Branch Road is SUCH a appropriate name for this road! But if I were to name street names, this particular one would be named Billowing Dust From Gravel Way. It is a gravel road. As is Deer Hunter.
And so it just rained, and already I wish it would rain some more. There is something quite calming about summer storms. I think my sense of peace within myself needed the rain to come as much as did all the living things around us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment