Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Countdown To July


With February coming round the corner, we have (in the vicinity of) 5 months to get ourselves packed and relocated. What with having to prepare our house for sale, house hunting in Georgia, Kelly wrapping up her residency at Duke (and all the paper work involved in getting licensed in Georgia) and visa matters, it will neither be easy nor enjoyable these next few months.

Moving is never fun, though the excitement of starting afresh and establishing a nest and building roots invigorates at times.

I have already begun to search for homes in the Georgia mountains, focusing my search on Blue Ridge and Ellijay. I have found some pretty nice places to live, from Buckhorn Estates in Ellijay to Scenic Heights in Blue Ridge to a really eco-friendly, Japanese-inspired "green" house called Fern Valley. (I would love to have a home that has a name, no?)

Well, it is early days still, but only just. Banks don't tend to secure loan rates for more than 90 days and so making offers now would be premature. Although, mortgage rates seem to be going up a bit, and I am hoping for rates to dip a little come Spring when the housing market is at its busiest. We'll see. So much to leave to the imagination right now, and God-willing things will come together nicely with all of this moving business.

No comments: