The flight to LV was more or less uneventful, which is always a good thing. The only exception was going through a thunderstorm in the first 15 minutes of the flight, which provided some uneasy moments for me (turbulence) but at least the storm provided good amounts of rain in Blue Ridge. Turbulence on flights always makes me worried.
I arrived at the airport in LV (for the first time) and was surprised to find slot machines in the airport! (I don't know why I was surprised). A shuttle service awaited us - several conference attendees. We stayed at the Loews Lake Las Vegas Resort which was about 24 miles or so away from "the strip" or the glitz of Vegas. The resort, situated in the desert in a sort of valley, surrounded by generous hills, the road or driveway leading to the entrance lined with palm trees, was really quite nice and impressive. We arrived around sunset and so you know I had to take some photos.
The meeting was over Thursday and Friday. Thursday's agenda was registration and dinner (which was fantastic BTW). Friday was the full day, starting at 7am for breakfast, concluding at 5:30pm or so. We were introduced to the study protocol, the investigational drug, the regulatory material, shipping of materials for lab testing, all the ins and outs of conducting this clinical trial. We received electronic data capture (EDC) training for this study also.
At 5pm, I get a text message from Ray (my boss) saying we have a ride waiting out front. -- I guess we were skipping the remainder of the meeting (which was only the wrap-up session and dinner left). Lee (Ray's wife) had a night on the town planned for us which included: (1) dinner at the ultra trendy nightclub and restaurant called Tao (located at the Venetian hotel) -- asian bistro cuisine, (2) a stroll through some of the hotels and shops at the strip, (3) gelato at the Venetian for dessert .. and best of all (4) tickets to the show La Reve, which was showing at the swanky (new) hotel, the Wynn.
I have to thank the Tidmans, especially Lee, for organizing this evening and for including me. They planned to stay an extra day/night and I am sure their Saturday would have included all of this though not necessarily the exact itinerary. But knowing I was leaving very early on Saturday, the Tidmans decided to quickly come up with a night on the town for my first Vegas experience. Thank you! There's nothing like experiencing Vegas the Tidman way: personal drivers to and from hotel (no waiting for taxis), near front row seats at our show, and more.
La Reve
Now I can say: Been there, done that -- I should have bought the book! This show rocked. A la Cirque (de Solei?), La Reve was absolutely breathtaking. The light show, the athletic and jam packed routines were just unbelievable. The difference between Cirque and Reve, I think, is that the latter is focused on utilizing water in their shows (diving, that sort of thing). The theatre being dome-shaped, and I don't know if I can explain what I am about to say and do justice to this one part of the show ... where, at ever increasing heights, performers (and as part of the routine or show) were being "dropped" into the pool -- and we're talking heights of 30-40 feet!! ... And then, this one last "diver", was lifted through and out the top of the theatre ceiling (usually the case if the performer is changing to another costume or whatever for the next scene) .. only for the brief suspense of nothing happening broken by the re-entry of this performer down to the pool - OK some 60-75 feet?? It was ridiculous! R-I-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S! Here I thought this part of the show was over and on to the next, when this final guy comes through the theatre dome top to be dropped into water, perfectly vertical, little splash. Gasp! Needless to say the appreciative crowd gave a thunderous applause and many oohs and aahs. (don't people die at impact at those heights? hmmm)
Late and exhausted we returned to the hotel. I had but a few hours before I had to meet my shuttle service at the lobby the following morning for an early flight back.
So much for what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas!


No comments:
Post a Comment