Wednesday, July 12, 2006

What's In A Name?

Coming up with baby names has been fun at times, and not so fun at times. :-) But thanks to a dream that Kelly had before we knew we were having a boy, we have the first name.

Our boy's name will be Ethan: a Hebrew name meaning, strong, firm, steadfast, constant.

And in keeping to a sort-of tradition in my family, Kelly's last name will be our children's middle name. And mine their last name. So we have a Hebrew, Chinese/Hokkien and Persian name for our son: Ethan Koay Eblaghie.

However, we have asked Kelly's family, and grandma (Ah Ma), to come up with some Chinese boy's names. Suggested names: Wen, Heng, Chun, Li Jie, Li Yong, Zhong Wei, and Zhong Ren.

Wen: stable, steady
Heng: eternal
Chun: pure
Li means: polite, courteous, gentleman, manners
Jie means: outstanding, remarkable, prominent
Yong means: brave, resourceful, courageous, valour
Wei means: strong, powerful, might, imposing, prestige
Ren means: kindhearted, benevolent, virtue, morality
Zhong means: 'in the middle', between

Names can be mixed and matched.

I personally like: Li Yong, Wei Li, Wei Ren, Li Jie ...

I have to ask what the other meanings for Zhong are, because right now I am thinking this name is not very appropriate for a first-born.

hmmm...... Ethan Koay LiYong Eblaghie ... kinda has nice (long) ring to it :-)

1 comment:

adekoay said...

oH! cute! i like the pics. I don't think I'll ever see my sister pregnant in person, so I'll just have to settle for pictures. Did you know my Chinese name was Wei Li? But obviously they are different characters and pronunciations from the one that you like.